Sunday 18 January 2015

monViet (Setiabudi One): Almost an exemplary Vietnamese restaurant


Despite its distinctive style & great dishes, I always thought that Vietnamese food is one of the least marketed cuisines in Jakarta's food scene. Sure, you have the regular types of Pho 24 or the more exotic E&O (which I think is associated more to Thai instead of Vietnamese), but the hype and presence of Vietnamese cooking still lacks.

My favorite is Vietopia in Cikini, which I think is not widely popular as it's not usually crowded. Personally, Vietnamese is possibly my most-preferred cuisine of South-East Asia (aside from Indonesian, that is), above Thai, Singaporean, or Malaysian.

So high hopes abound for monViet. It doesn't stray far from the regular formula; Pho, spring rolls, etc. They have a wider range of options to choose from, including some baked rice and vermicelli. Interestingly it has a dedicated baguette corner, serving sandwiches Vietnam style. An interesting ode to its French cultural influence.




The Setiabudi One branch is small but has personality. There is indeed an effort to make the joint look and feel Vietnamese, which is appreciated. I'd say the place is quite nice to have a proper meal; not just a quick lunch.


Appetizer.
monViet platter. Spring rolls of all kind.
IDR 60k

I'd say Vietnamese cuisine doesn't rely on seasonings as much as Thai, Chinese, or Indonesian. Which means freshness of ingredients becomes even more important. This is where monViet falls.

While spring rolls are always nice (and these are quite good actually), monViet's vegetables don't seem highly fresh. I noticed some of the greens are starting to darken and wither, which is probably why something seem to be missing from these spring rolls.

The fried ones aren't too oily, which I am thankful for, but again they're like regular spring rolls. Good, but nothing special.

Mains.
Pho Tai. Vietnamese rice noodles, rare-cooked beef, herbs.
IDR 55k


Well, it's why I came to a Vietnamese restaurant in the first place. To get a Pho fix.

Notice the beef are still pink in certain areas when first served, just like it's supposed to be. It's not very tender, but it's tasty & plenty.

The broth is thick, rather oily, and has a stronger savory taste than most other phos I've had. I always take pho broths to be neutral-tasting, but this one's quite apparent. It's a matter of personal preference though; a friend of mine thought it was a little too salty, but I thought it's just right.

The rice noodles were fine for me, but another friend of mine (which eats a lot more noodles than I do) said it was too mushy, like it's not well-cooked yet.

Overall a good dish. I'd recommend this, especially to those that prefer stronger-tasting pho broths.

Beef sandwich. Baguette, carrot, herbs, seasoned beef.
IDR 50k


You may think it's a strange thing to have sandwiches in a Vietnamese joint. I'm not that knowledgeable in Vietnamese culture but since they have a history of French colonialism I guess this makes perfect sense.

The baguette is crunchy, rather chewy. There's a lot of vegetables in here, and no sauces so don't expect an equivalent of an American burger. But the beef itself is seasoned and tasty, so that sort of compensates for the plain-ness of the rest of the sandwich.

Again, this is a matter of personal preference. I thought this was too plain, and the only flavor came from the beef. But I understand some people like it that way.


Bill for three came in IDR 330,000. It's a little pricey for what is offered. But anyone only looking for a quick meal can just have a pho and a drink, which will probably cost about IDR 70k.

I can easily recommend monViet to anyone craving for Vietnamese food. The food are quite nice and authentic. I just wished the ingredients were fresher, especially the vegetables, then this will be a superb restaurant for any occasions.

---
Location: Setiabudi One (just opened), Lower Floor. There's another one in Lippo Kemang.






No comments:

Post a Comment