Sunday 18 January 2015

RoCa Restaurant at Artotel (Thamrin): A hidden establishment with seriously great food

I thought this was going to be just another 'chic' places that serve half-hearted food. But anyone thinking the same thing are in for a pleasant surprise. There's no underestimating RoCa's cooking; they're mostly dishes you've heard somewhere else, and the choices are few, but taste is consistently good.

First of all, though, RoCa is a part of Artotel which, quite obviously from the name, is some kind of a hotel that attempts to be very artsy. I think it's also where hotel guests have breakfast, which makes it even more surprising that the food is of top quality.







Let me talk about the hotel's appearance just briefly. Because it looks eccentric and, frankly, I am puzzled by the design. What is that painting on the front wall? I guess the artistic style of the whole establishment leans towards modern or popular art or something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the design is ugly or tacky, and I don't know much about art. It's just gotten me scratching my head.


The restaurant is in the hotel's lobby. I went here in a regular weekdays, and it was quiet and rather gloomy. There were even some people on their laptops as well.


The restaurant itself is full of these overly-colorful paintings. It's a bit creepy for me, actually. Reminds me of Happy Tree Family with all its gore and morbidness.

To be honest, I didn't find the art to be inspiring or adding too much of an additional experience. For comparison, Kosenda Hotel, a similarly boutique establishment nearby, is far more stylish (and understandable) for me than the rather somber interiors of Artotel. There is only faint sense of elegance, despite the effort to be artsy.

On to food. Appetizer, something simple yet tasty.
French fries with truffle oil.
IDR 45k

Please don't frown. I know it's just french fries and the truffle is only in the oil. But this is seriously good. I don't know if it's the effect of the truffle oil, but the fries are very crunchy; almost crackers-like. And the truffle flavor is apparent, which is very much welcome.

I think this is even better than McDonalds' fries, which I find very hard to beat.

Mains.
Chicken Cordon Bleu.
IDR 88k


I've eaten Cordon Bleus quite often, but I'm telling you this is superb. The chicken is tender and tasted right, and the breaded coating has an appropriate crispness. The cheese is thick and plenty, though I wished it melts for longer. The ham is elastic and juicy; and we shouldn't underestimate this, the ham's texture just makes the eating more joyful.

I didn't even have to touch the mushroom sauce because the taste was rich enough. So I just used it as a dip for the french fries.


Seafood spaghetti Thai style.
IDR 62k


I thought the combination of spaghetti and Thai flavor/seasoning was peculiar at first, but I tried anyway. But again RoCa impresses.

They managed to immerse some distinct tomato pasta taste with Thai seafood excellently. You can easily taste both flavors in your tastebuds at the same time, and they go together well.

The seafood are quite juicy and there were plenty of them. Overall a surprisingly great dish.



Bill for two came in IDR 289,000. A very reasonable price for the food RoCa offered. Most of the mains were in the IDR 60-90 range, with exception for the steaks.

Artotel also has a rooftop bar on the 7th floor; BART (Bar At the Roof-Top). While we're at it, I might as well show some pictures.



Again, I am left puzzled as to what kind of identity the place is trying to pursue. What's with the noir-styled barenaked ladies?

Nevertheless, BART is a very nice place for hangout. The view isn't the best (by the time I was here on January 2015, there were constructions in the surrounding) but we get a clear sight of the area. In other rooftops akin to this (take Awan Lounge at Kosenda for example), the view is obstructed by poorly placed pillars and plants. Sitting in BART feels spacious and free.

The ambiance was relaxed and enjoyable. The crowd range from young teens to elder people, just having a good time. Music was great; loungy, a little upbeat. Safe to say this is a proper place to chat for hours and stare at the vast metropolis that is Jakarta (provided it doesn't rain).

Mocktail

Honey Bee. Yogurt with some fruit flavors that I don't recall.
IDR 45k

Sorry for not ordering cocktails or wine. But this is seriously nice. The drink is very thick so waiting for the ice to melt is fun.


Overall, Artotel's restaurant and bar are a solid pair. You can have great dinner downstairs, then head up to laze around or party at the rooftop bar. Easily recommendable.

---
Location: Jl. Sunda, close to Sarinah Thamrin.

No comments:

Post a Comment